Sunday, August 4, 2013

Shy Leana


I first met Leana on July 16th.  I was spending the day in the Intake department at a local shelter.  I was there to find out what would be affected by the budget cuts that were coming to the city run shelter.  Of all the animals that were brought in that day, I felt something special for Leana.  She wasn’t known as Leana then.  She was brought in as a stray by someone that found her.  She was a beautiful black dog that was extremely thin and scared.  She didn’t want to move or walk on the leash.  She just collapsed on the floor.  I sat down on the floor right next to her.  I talked to her and pet her to calm her down and make her comfortable.  Soon she trusted me enough to guide her in to the back where she would receive treatment before being taken to a kennel.  I wanted to bring her home as a foster to gain weight and confidence.  However, I already had four dogs at home and couldn’t bring another one home.  I watched as she was led away to a kennel hoping a foster would step forward to give her a chance.


The next time I saw Leana was July 28 at a big adoption event.  There were many rescue groups and shelters trying to get their dogs and cats adopted.  I was volunteering to walk the dogs.  I was going from cage to cage walking the dogs.  Then I saw Leana.  She was cowering in her cage looking up at me.  I felt so bad for her.  She needed to be taken to the event to find someone special to adopt her, but the noise and commotion were scaring her.  I took her out of the cage to go for a walk and get her outside to have some fresh air and quiet time.  Between walking other dogs I spent time with Leana.  I sat on the floor with her outside her cage to try to get her comfortable and calmer.  She was too scared.  She was soon loaded into the truck to be taken back to the shelter.  No adoption for Leana.


I couldn’t get her out of my mind.  I know she needed help but my house is full.  She does not “show well”  because she is so scared.  She will probably not get adopted in this condition,  I soon realize that I have no choice.  I was brought in to her life twice.  She seemed to trust me.  If I didn’t help her, who would?  How would I work it out with my other dogs?  I would find a way.  I feel that she is a special dog that I am supposed to help in any way I can.  I contact the shelter to tell them that if she is not adopted or fostered by Saturday, I will come by and pick her up for foster.

I pick Leana up from the shelter on Saturday and bring her home.  I bring her in the house for the meet and greet.  She does well, although she is overwhelmed with four dogs checking her out.  She attaches herself to me, but I have to let the dogs work it out.  She growls at the other dogs to keep them away.  She is so unsure of other dogs.  Looking at her, I wonder what happened to her before she came to the shelter.  She has scars that look like bite marks.  Since she is a bully breed,  I wonder if she was a “bait dog” for fighting.  She also looks like she had several litters of puppies. Either of these could be the reason she is afraid of other dogs.  Ultimately, it doesn’t matter.  I will do my best to build her confidence, socialize her with other dogs and teach her to trust dogs and humans again.
Update August 6: Unfortunately, I had to return Leana to the shelter today. Her fear of dogs was stronger than I thought. Instead of helping her, my four dogs were making it worse. She had a few episodes of fear aggression. It is hard to admit that best intentions are not always the best for the dog. I was hoping to help but I was not the right foster for Leana. She is an amazing dog that needs to be the only dog in the house. She is smart, listens well, and loves to cuddle on the couch. Leana has suffered a lot in her short life and deserves to cuddle with a favorite human on the couch. She'll roll over for a belly rub or just rest her head in your lap. Leana just wants to love and be loved by a human she can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment