Saturday, June 22, 2013

Black is Beautiful

Black Dog Syndrome or Big Black Dog Syndrome is the extreme under-adoption of large black dogs based not on temperament or health, but based on a number of physical and environmental factors in conjunction with the Western symbolism of the color black. In Western society, the color black is typically representative of evil and other negative connotations. The physical and environmental factors of size, color, the kennel environment, and the “genericness” of black dogs, when combined with the negative associations of the color black in western culture create what can be defined as “unconscious background checking”. Unconscious background checking is a phenomenon caused by the belief that shelter dogs have questionable backgrounds and are somehow “damaged”.

For a large black dog in an animal shelter in the United States, the difficulty with adoption does not stem from their health, breed, sociability or temperament- it is the color of their coat. Two undeniable facts of Big Black Dog Syndrome are that large dark coated dogs are adopted less frequently and euthanized more frequently than dogs of other sizes and colors. It does not vary by breed, either. If you were to check out your shelter, you would see Labrador Retrievers, Chow Chows, Rottweilers, Pit Bull Terriers, German Shepherds, Newfoundlands and mixes of all of the them. Labrador Retrievers have been the number one breed for years, but not the black ones.

Black dogs can appear more menacing than they actually are because black absorbs light , making it hard to read their facial expressions. In today’s internet-based society, a photo is what some people see first. Potential adopters no longer have to go to a shelter to get a look at the animals. All they have to do is check out the shelter’s website or petfinder.

In addition to color, the other major factor is size. In many urban areas, most people are interested in adopting smaller dogs (under 50 pounds), but especially those dogs under 20 pounds. Apartment dwellers often have breed and size restrictions and not everyone has a big enough home to accommodate a large dog.

This syndrome can also be associated with black cats. People often associate black cats with bad luck, witches and the black cat that always seems to jump out of nowhere in horror movies.

Several years ago, I went to a shelter to adopt a black kitten. I had already picked out a name, Lucky. I did not see a black cat as unlucky. It turned out that the kitten I chose that day was very lucky. I didn’t know it at the time, but the man that was at the cage, who helped me pick the kitten, was there to take them to be euthanized. My kitten was only 5 weeks old at the time and barely eating solid food. She lived a long happy life to the age of 17 .

I went to another shelter a few years ago looking for a big black dog. It was nice to see the look on the shelter employees faces when I told them what I was looking for. They brought out one at a time to me outside where I would walk them and get to know them. I kept asking for bigger dogs. Now, I’m the type of person who always wants to help the “underdog” and I am partial to big dogs. I brought my 85 pound chocolate lab back to the shelter to make the final decision. When he made the decision, the shelter started processing the new member of the family, Soon, two employees came out of the office where they were processing my new boy. They had sad looks on their faces. I asked what was wrong. They said the dog had heartworms. They expected me to change my mind. They didn’t know me. Heartworms are treatable. Some shelters are able to treat the dogs before they are put up for adoption, others have a working agreement with a veterinarian to cover the cost or reduce the cost for animals that are adopted.
                                                       Logan. Big, Black and Beautiful

Next time you look at pictures on a website or visit your shelter, take an extra look at the black dogs and cats. Look into their eyes, take them for a walk, spend some time with one and you might take home a dog or cat you weren’t expecting too. But it will be the dog or cat that you are supposed to take home. Remember, too, that if the dog or cat sheds, black hair doesn’t show as much, black goes with everything and black is always “IN”

Check out Blackpearldogs.com for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment